What is dry mouth?
You may have spoken to your dentist about dry mouth or experienced some of its symptoms. Dry mouth, or xerostomia, is the result of reduced or absent saliva flow. It is not a disease, but it may be a symptom of your medical conditions or caused by your medications.
How does saliva help protect against dry mouth?
If your saliva flow is reduced, the resulting dry mouth can lead to serious problems because your remaining saliva may be unable to perform its important functions in your mouth.
Some of the major functions of saliva include:
- Helping kill harmful bacteria
- Keeping your mouth moist
- Removing remnants of food and maintaining your mouth's cleanliness
- Helping to strengthen your teeth by restoring calcium phosphate
- Aiding in digestion, speaking, swallowing, and chewing
What are the major causes of dry mouth?
Dry mouth is a common condition. Some of its most frequent causes include:
- Over 400 prescription medications
- Commonly used drugs that cause dry mouth include antihistamines, antipsychotics, diuretics, anticholinergics, antihypertensives, anti-Parkinson agents, and sedatives
- Malfunction in the glands that produce saliva
- Sjögren's syndrome (an autoimmune disorder)
- Psychological and emotional factors such as fear or anxiety
- Radiation or chemotherapy
- Over 400 prescription medications
What are the signs and symptoms of dry mouth?
The effects of dry mouth can be mild, moderate, or severe and can cause minor or major discomfort. You may have experienced symptoms associated with dry mouth, including:
- Increased plaque and tooth decay
- Painful tongue and taste disorders
- Fungal infections in the mouth and throat
- Burning and stinging sensations in the mouth
- Inflammation of the gums and the oral mucous membrane
- Difficulty speaking, eating, or swallowing
- Difficulty wearing dentures
Why is it important to treat dry mouth?
If you don't treat dry mouth, it can lead to serious health problems. It can affect your nutritional, oral, and even psychological health. If dry mouth symptoms become severe, they can have a significant impact on your overall health.
Treating dry mouth adequately involves more than just temporarily soothing the symptoms. Real relief comes from restoring healthy oral conditions and protecting the tissues within your mouth.
*Terms and Conditions: This offer is only valid for patients with commercial insurance where NeutraSal Supersaturated Calcium Phosphate Rinse is a covered medication. This offer is not valid for any person eligible for reimbursement of prescriptions, in whole or in part, by any federal, state, or other governmental programs, including, but not limited to, Medicare (including Medicare Advantage and Part A, B, and D plans), Medicaid, TRICARE, Veterans Administration or Department of Defense health coverage, CHAMPUS, the Puerto Rico Government Health Insurance Plan, or any other federal or state health care programs. You agree not to seek reimbursement for all or any part of the benefit received through this offer and are responsible for making any required reports of your use of this offer to any insurer or other third party who pays any part of the prescription filled. This offer is good only in the United States of America (including the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands). This offer is not valid where otherwise prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted and not valid for any person that is 65 years of age or older without commercial insurance. You must be 18 years of age or older to redeem this offer for yourself or a minor. This offer cannot be redeemed at government-subsidized clinics. This offer is valid for one (1) initial prescription fill of NeutraSal and up to ten (10) prescription refills. The maximum benefit available is $150 per box. You are responsible for all costs and expenses after the maximum benefit is reached. If you receive coverage through a health savings account (HSA) or similar arrangement, it is your responsibility to know how claims are processed and understand that amounts paid by the third party for your NeutraSal prescription may be deducted from your benefits limit automatically. This offer is not valid with other offers. The coupon has no cash value or cash back. This offer is not health insurance. This offer expires on December 31, 2016. Valeant Pharmaceuticals and OraPharma reserve the right to rescind, revoke, terminate, or amend this offer at any time, without notice.